Monday, January 17, 2011

Tummy Tantrums & Roasted Veggie Lasagna

My cookie consumption plus a few extra naughties wound me up in bed for the past few days with vomiting and other unwelcomed movements..

I managed to whip up a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna though! I got this of Jen's Gone Paleo. I probably won't make it again as it took forever to prep and cook! And I would prefer a meaty lasagna.. still a delicious dish just a pain in the butt if you dont have a tray big enough to roast everything in and a casserolle dish big enough to make your lasagna!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 red capsicum, quartered and seeded
  • 12 asparagus spears
  • 10 thyme sprigs
  • 1 tblsp rosemary
  • 2 tblsp Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt and Pepper to taste

SAUCE
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tblsp olive oil
  • 1 tblsp tomato paste
  • 1/2 tblsp oregano
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (I used a tsp Cayenne Pepper - will probably use less next time)
  • 14oz can of whole tomatoes

METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 204C/400F
  • Slice vegetables
  • Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme sprigs
  • Roast zucchini, eggplant and capsicum for 20-25mins, until soft and slightly caramelised
  • Remove zucchini and eggplant and set aside (I recommend putting a baking sheet under your veggies as mine stuck to the tray...)
  • Add asparagus to pan and continue to roast with capsicum for 10mins
  • While the veggies are roasting make the sauce
  • Cook onions and garlic, in oil, over medium-high heat for 5mins
  • Add red pepper flakes and oregano
  • Stir to coat and saute for another 2-3mins
  • Add tomato paste and stir to coat
  • Add canned tomatoes and stir well
  • Simmer on low for 15-20mins
  • Once your vegetables are roasted and your sauce is ready, begin the layering process
  • In a 9"x7" baking dish, add a thin layer of sauce and 3/4 roasted zucchini

  • Add 3/4 eggplant
  • Spread half of remaining sauce, the remaining zucchini and eggplant, all asparagus (I cut mine into bite-sized pieces) and capsicum (thinly sliced after roasting)

  • Finish layering with remaining sauce and sprinkle with fresh basil (optional)
  • Cover baking dish with lid or aluminium foil
  • Bake at 375F/190C for 30mins
  • Uncover and cook for another 30mins
  • Let lasagna rest for 15mins before cutting


We made a few dishes with this lasagna and I was glad it lasted a few days. Aaron ate it for tea with a mate and they added some chicken. We also ate it for breakfast with some eggs. And I ate it the following night with some leftover spaghetti squash (YUM!)

I haven't done any WODs for a week (I feel so slack!) but want to give my body a chance to recover. I am feeling pretty good today. Food is staying in, no stomach cramps and the bloating has gone yay! Plan on going to the gym with Aaron this afternoon to do a CrossFit Darwin WOD. Dont know what one yet but most definitely one with the oly bar :)
We had pizza two nights ago though and left overs with some eggplant parmigiana last night and I had more bloating and a massive headache that kept waking me up. I have also been having trouble sleeping the past few nights which I am wondering if its due to my poor eating or illness.. probably both.. AND to add to that I got two big ass blind pimples yesterday which I havent had since I started paleo. Grains and dairy and sugar are the devil!

So for all of you who are tempted to reach for that cookie, pizza slice, protein bar!... its not worth whats around the corner! Trust me!

Eat Healthy, Feel Healthy, Live Healthy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment